Any child who has suffered a Dental Injury that has resulted in facial swelling or trauma. We would recommend going straight to The Royal Children’s Hospital Emergency Department for medical attention.

The Emergency Department at The Royal Children’s Hospital provides urgent medical care to children and adolescents. The Department operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Emergency Department entrance is via Entry 2 from Flemington Road, Parkville. Parents are able to drive down to the Emergency department and drop off their child, however, to ensure ambulance access, parking outside the Emergency bay is strictly prohibited. Visitor parking is available in the basement levels of the new hospital.

Royal Children’s Hospital Emergency Department
50 Flemington Road,
Parkville VIC 3052
TELEPHONE (03) 9345 5522

Click here for directions to the Royal Children’s Hospital


Emergency Dental Care is available to all Victorians through The Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne (RDHM) and available to all eligible Victorians at community dental clinics. For all dental emergencies call: 9341 1000 (Outside Melbourne Metro call: 1800 833 039)
A dental emergency could be: facial swelling, bleeding (trauma affecting your mouth) an accident involving damage to your mouth or teeth, dental pain (e.g. in teeth, mouth, gum, jaw)
Emergency dental treatment is also available at your local community dental clinic.
Call (03) 9341 1000 or use the online community dental clinics search for a list of dental clinics in your area.
The Emergency Department is on Level 1, 720 Swanston Street, Carlton (opposite Melbourne University).

720 Swanston St, Carlton VIC 3053
TELEPHONE (03) 9341 1000

Click here for directions to the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne


A dental emergency can be any of the following:

  • Your child is in severe pain
  • There is bleeding from the mouth
  • Your child has suffered a dental trauma and lost a tooth
  • You are concerned you child has an infection.

If your child requires immediate dental treatment to stop bleeding, alleviate pain, or prevent tooth loss, this is generally considered an emergency.

Dental traumas that are NOT usually considered a dental emergency may include a chipped tooth or a wobbly tooth that has fallen out – unless your child is experiencing severe pain. If you are in doubt it’s always a good idea to ring and speak to someone who may be able to help. Public Dental Emergency Care call: 1300 360 054.

If the knocked-out tooth is dirty, gently rinse it with milk without touching the root and follow the steps below. Do not scrub.
• Stay calm and act quickly.
• Locate the tooth and hold it by the crown (smooth white part).
• If the root has dirt on it, gently rinse the tooth in milk or saline solution such as contact lens solution for a few seconds only – do not use water or scrub.
• If the person is conscious, hold the cleaned tooth by the crown and replace it into its socket using light pressure. Hold the tooth in place by getting the person to gently bite on a handkerchief.

Seek immediate advice or treatment from an oral health professional

In some instances, you may not be able to replant the tooth back into its socket. Make sure to keep the tooth moist. Drop it into a glass of milk (lukewarm). If you can’t do this, place the tooth in your mouth, between the cheek and gum. A young child may not be able to safely “store” the tooth in his or her mouth without swallowing it. Instead, have the child spit into a cup. Place the tooth in the cup with the saliva. If nothing else is available, place the tooth in a cup of water. The most important thing is to keep the tooth moist.

What if the tooth is not an adult tooth?

Do not try to replant a baby tooth. Replanting baby teeth can lead to damaging the adult tooth sitting underneath the primary tooth socket and may also delay dental exfoliation. See a dental professional as soon as possible.

What is the tooth is broken not knocked out?

Clean the area by rinsing the mouth with warm water. Use an ice pack wrapped in a clean towel or a cold compress on the face if needed to reduce swelling. If the tooth fragment is broken and is intact, store it in milk or saliva. See a dental professional as soon as possible.


Thanks to our wonderful Oral Health Therapist, Carlee.
She works at both the Essendon clinics.
If you would like to talk to her or any of our amazing team, about this or any other questions you may have, please contact us on 03 9372 8960.

Carlee Wooding